Part-Time Instructor (English)
Women’s Economic Ventures (WEV), a non-profit organization dedicated to creating an equitable and just society through the economic empowerment of women, seeks to hire a part-time Instructor to teach WEV’s Explore Entrepreneurship Program in WEV’s Santa Barbara and Ventura Offices and/or virtually (pending COVID restrictions). WEV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Explore Entrepreneurship Program is a 4-session course designed for those who are exploring the possibility of opening their own business and want to make an informed decision about their personal readiness. The course helps clarify and demystify several business concepts. Through small group discussions and hands-on activities, individuals will be able to get a better understanding of their own readiness and understanding of what is required when launching a business and if they are ready, both financially and personally, to take the next step. This position is part-time with an average of 25 hours per course; taught three times a year.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all inclusive.
- Instructs Explore Training course (one 2-hour class weekly) using the WEV provided content
- Reviews and provides feedback on client work via WEV’s Learning Management System (LMS)
- Available to assist Explore participants by email, phone or other method such as set office hours
- Refer clients to WEV Explore or other support services in the community for additional help
Program Development and Implementation:
- Plans and facilitates classroom activities to supplement WEV provided material
- Evaluates curriculum content and effectiveness and provided feedback to WEV
- Submits attendance to WEV staff the day after each class
- Attends weekly check-ins with WEV staff (meeting and/or email, as required)
- Recommends guest speakers/consultants to staff when appropriate
- Completes and submits biweekly timesheet
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated facilitation and teaching skills (including via Zoom)
- Experience starting, managing and growing a small business
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Business consulting skills, particularly in small business management, finance, planning and analysis, or commercial lending
- B.A. or M.A. in business, education, finance, marketing or related field.
Small business experience may substitute for degree.
Instructors are paid hourly, as part-time WEV employees (rather than 1099 contractors) due to State legislation compliance; limited benefits may be available. California residents strongly preferred.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply, click the button below. You will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter, which should be addressed to WEV’s Hiring Manager. In your cover letter, please describe any personal or professional experience with entrepreneurship, if applicable. No phone calls, please.