Part-Time Business Advisor (English)
Are you passionate about meaningful work?
Do you want to give back by supporting women-owned and minority-owned businesses?
Join Women’s Economic Ventures (WEV) as a part-time Business Advisor and help grow local small businesses!
WEV (pronounced “weave”) is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating an equitable and just society through the economic empowerment of women. We are a purposeful, mission-driven organization with a passionate and engaged staff based in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, whose primary focus is supporting women-owned businesses and entrepreneurship.
WEV is seeking to hire part-time Business Advisors (35-60 hrs. per month) who are passionate about doing meaningful work by supporting entrepreneurs and small business owners. Our Business Advisors work 1:1 with our clients to help them identify, prioritize, and achieve specific goals for their businesses, improving their business performance and profitability. The Business Advisor must have a knack for understanding complex problems and providing real-time appropriate solutions. The Business Advisor’s job is not to make decisions or solve problems for clients but to facilitate the development of those skills and support clients in making prudent judgments that will help ensure the long-term growth and success of their business.
WEV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all inclusive.
- Conduct initial detailed assessment of client’s current business state and identify goals based on functional priorities.
- Conduct regular meetings with client to assess progress against stated goals and priorities.
- Analyze business processes and outcomes, review process efficiency and adequacy, and recommend options for improving business performance and profitability.
- Identify where clients may require additional specialist support and communicate this to program staff.
- Track and record progress and details of client meetings in WEV database.
- Participate in monthly update meetings with program manager and with other advisors.
- Submit biweekly timesheets to program manager, accurately and on time.
- Participate in internal trainings relating to performance improvement, diversity & inclusion, best practice client service, etc. as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- 10+ years as a successful business owner, executive, or industry expert in a medium to large scale business.
- 5+ years of experience consulting/coaching with small business owners.
- General business skills (specialties in marketing, sales, finance, operations, technology, manufacturing, or other areas); expertise across a range of industries is a plus.
- Aptitude for analysis and problem solving; goal-oriented and able to come up with practical, actionable solutions.
- Ability to drive results for clients collaboratively, with the intention of developing the clients’ skills and decision-making capabilities.
- Willingness to meet clients where they are, listen to their needs, and deliver client-focused solutions.
- Highly motivated, energetic, confident, and decisive.
- In alignment with WEV’s mission and dedicated to WEV’s clients.
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and client relations skills, including active listening, patience, and conflict resolution skills.
- Gains the confidence and trust of others by acting from a foundation of honesty, integrity, and authenticity; builds strong client relationships; acts as a cheerleader, whilst also holding clients accountable.
- Proven high level of resilience and steadiness, ability to remain calm and provide reassurance in high pressure and sometimes emotional situations.
- Continues to develop professionally; is a lifelong learner.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders of varying social and cultural backgrounds at all levels.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a highly organized manner both individually and collaboratively, proficient at scheduling and paperwork.
- Personal, reliable auto transportation and current auto insurance.
Preferred: Graduate or undergraduate degree in business, education, finance or related field. Small business experience may substitute for degree.
$48 to $60/hr. DOE
Note: due to State legislation compliance, Business Advisers are part-time employees of WEV, not independent contractors; California residents are strongly preferred.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply, click the button below. You will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter, which should be addressed to WEV’s Hiring Manager. In your cover letter, please describe any personal or professional experience with entrepreneurship, if applicable. No phone calls, please.