Part-Time Business Advisor (Bilingual English-Spanish)
Women’s Economic Ventures (WEV), a non-profit organization dedicated to creating an equitable and just society through the economic empowerment of women, seeks to hire a Part-time Business Advisor (bilingual English-Spanish). WEV Business Advisors work 1:1 with our small business clients to help them identify, prioritize and achieve specific goals for their businesses, improving their business performance and profitability. The Business Advisor must have a knack for understanding complex problems and providing real-time appropriate solutions. The Business Advisor’s job is not to make decisions or solve problems for clients but to facilitate the development of those skills and support clients in making prudent judgments that will help ensure the long-term growth and success of their business. WEV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all inclusive.
- Conduct initial detailed assessment of client’s current business state and identify goals based on functional priorities.
- Conduct bimonthly meetings with client to assess progress against stated goals and priorities.
- Analyze business processes and outcomes, review process efficiency and adequacy, and recommend options for improving business performance and profitability.
- Utilize GrowthWheel tool to effectively track client progress against goal attainment (training will be provided).
- Identify where clients may require additional specialist support and communicate this to program staff.
- Record details of client meetings in WEV database.
- Participate in monthly update meetings with program manager and other advisors.
- Submit biweekly timesheets to program manager, accurately and on time.
- Participate in internal trainings relating to performance improvement, diversity & inclusion, best practice client service, etc. as required.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bilingual, fluent in written and spoken Spanish, and experience working with Hispanic bicultural communities
- General business expertise, with specialties in marketing, sales or finance preferred
- Familiar with digital marketing and technology, and/or willingness to learn
- 3+ years consulting/coaching experience with small business owners
- Entrepreneurial experience; 5+ years as a business owner
- Flexible schedule to meet with clients; proficient at scheduling and paperwork
- Continues to develop professionally and keep up with current trends (e.g. utilizes LinkedIn Learning)
- Connection to other business experts / local business contacts
- Excellent inter-personal, customer service and client relations skills, including active listening, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a highly organized manner both individually and collaboratively
- Aptitude for analysis and problem solving; goal-oriented and able to come up with practical, actionable solutions
- Self-motivated, confident and decisive
- Proven high level of resilience and steadiness, ability to remain calm and provide reassurance in high pressure and sometimes emotional situations
- Must be a cheerleader for our clients while also holding them accountable
- Dedication to WEV, its mission and the success of its clients
- Personal, reliable auto transportation and current auto insurance
- Willing and able to meet with clients in Santa Barbara or Ventura counties (in-person, by phone or Zoom – Covid restrictions permitting)
Preferred: B.A. or M.A. in business, education, finance or related field. Small business experience may substitute for degree.
Note: due to State legislation compliance, Business Advisers are part-time employees of WEV, not independent contractors.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply, click the button below. You will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter, which should be addressed to WEV’s Hiring Manager. In your cover letter, please describe any personal or professional experience with entrepreneurship, if applicable. No phone calls, please.