WEV’s Women's Business Center (WBC) proudly offers the Self-Employment Training (SET) program, a 14-week course providing week-by-week training in the most important aspects of organizing, financing, marketing and managing a small business. Participants leave the course with a complete business plan including a business description, marketing plan, cash flow projections, operations plan, and a core network to help sustain the business.
There are now more than 2,000 businesses throughout Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties owned and operated by graduates of WEV’s Self-Employment Training program or recipients of small business loans through WEV. The Self-Employment Training course is part of the continuum of programs WEV offers to help women start-up, launch, grow, and sustain their own business.
The course is divided in to five sections:
|Business Start-up Basics||1-3||Business Description||Week 4|
|Feasibility and Marketing||4-6||Feasibility and Marketing Plan||Week 7|
|Business Finances||7-8||Financial Plan||Week 10|
|Business Management||9-10||Operations and Management Plan||Week 12|
|Business Plan Writing||12-14||Submit Complete Business Plan||Week 14|
The course is offered twice annually: February through May and September through December. Classes meet weekly for three hours, with two additional full-day Saturday workshops. Maximum class size is 25.
Spring 2014 Class Schedule:
|City||Day & Time||Instructor|
|Santa Barbara||Mondays, 6:00-9:00pm; February 10 - May 12, 2014||Julie Samson|
|Santa Barbara||Tuesdays, 6:00-9:00pm; February 11 - May 13, 2014||Katie Walters|
|Ventura||Tuesdays, 6:00-9:00pm; February 11 - May 13, 2014||Julie Samson|
|Oxnard||Wednesdays, 6:00-9:00pm; February 12 - May 14, 2014||Paula Crutchley|
The course is offered on a sliding scale based on your household income for the past year, with a minimum payment of $200 and a maximum payment of $2,500.
- Must have email address
- Familiarity with Internet navigation
- Computer literacy, familiarity with using word processing software and spreadsheets (i.e. Microsoft Word and Excel)
- Attend a WEV orientation.
- Once you complete the application materials, schedule an appointment to submit your application if you haven't already. All course prerequisites must be met prior to enrolling.
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the class fills. WEV cannot hold a space for those with incomplete applications. For Spring 2014, we expect classes to fill by the end of December 2013!